September 16th Week 2 Learning Journal Post (2-3 Hours)

September 16th, 2025

Week 2 Learning Journal Post (2-3 Hours)

Part 1: Review and Reflect Learning Strategy


Strengths:

  1. Planning and prioritizing work.

I am very good at planning my weekly tasks and prioritizing work. Lately I have been working three jobs while attending CSUMB so I have had a struggle at continuing my strength. My free day has been Tuesday, which is the final day of the week for this program. I may appear to be at the last second, but I read and prepare my assignments all week long in my free time. 

  1. Asking questions to learn concepts

I have been known to be too involved in extra curricular projects and very talkative with professors. I need extra talking and real world concepts to understand certain topics. 

  1. Organizing study materials

I have a file system that is out of this world. I organize all of my labs and assignments thoroughly and have all the study material for each weekly module. I find that sometimes a less used topic might need revisiting if it comes up later. 


Weaknesses:

  1. Short study sessions.

I do participate in short reading sessions, but hands-on studying is where I need to improve. Once we get into programming I will need to make time for short programming sessions because that is my weakness. I will turn my weaknesses into my strengths and persevere to get through the program. 

  1. Review after learning weekly concepts.

Although I have a great file system of modules, my weakness is reviewing everything after the week is over. I find I don't have the time. But it is another opportunity to improve and make the time to succeed. 

  1. Reciting and reflecting while reading.

I rarely recite after reading topics. This will be one of the easier weaknesses to turn around. I have breaks at work where i can dedicate more time to reading in small study sessions and recite and review the individual topics. 

 


Part 2: Preview Time Management Skills

I tried to remember what I did all week. I will use this in the next week so I can see where my time is really going. I enjoy planners and schedules. 


 


Part 3: Project Management Basics


Visit the following Project Management presentations below.  Add a paragraph to your journal summarizing, in your own words, the presentations. 


Introduction

Projects are temporary efforts that deliver unique products or services. Organizations launch new projects for a variety of fields and prioritize them through selection and what their portfolio can handle. The project manager is in charge of the project and owns it from start to finish. They pretty much tackle responsibility for the outcome. Their two main tools are work breakdown structure, which is like a method to take small chunks at a time so nothing is missed and the gantt chart, which organizes them on a calendar and so you can see what sections of the project are dependent on other parts so the path to completion is clear. 

Work Breakdown Structure (WBS)

The hierarchical timeline or structure for things to get done. If it isnt on this structure then it wont get done. It uses levels and indexes for assuring each and every detail is followed. Everything is grouped into packages, estimate time, resources, and cost. The WBS defines what will be built. Gantt lays out what and in what order it gets built. 

Gantt Chart

Most widely used project management tool because it transfers the project into an easy to understand visual schedule. You know what is getting done and when. It helps the project manager plan, communicate, and monitor their project so it gets done.

 


Part 4: Check Out Previous Capstones


Drive Diary

I enjoyed the Drive Diary. It is a handy app for adding vehicles and creating maintenance logs and gas usage logs. This would be very useful for someone like me who has multiple business vehicles and needs to keep track of this. The project was well done for a start. It was not visually pleasing and I wouldn't use it until it gets polished. The presentation was monotone and not appealing. But the project was a winner for me. It could be improved by bringing on a user experience designer or a graphic designer. 


National AI-Campus

This was a very interesting idea and I'm sure they will go far and probably grow this into a medical software in the future. The image segmentation was interesting to me because I like how AI tries to identify images. The brain scans are extremely hard to tell if there is a tumor from what I saw. This could make it much easier to identify tumors that are difficult to see. The project was very well done, and she sounded interested in what she created. I like the tone and graphics. It could have been improved if she had more GPU resources, but for what she accomplished it was the best. 


Otter Parsing

This was a great project. They made a project that parses through hundreds of thousands of resumes. That just sounds like something that could cut hiring manager responsibilities by 90%. They were able to cut up resumes and provide the most useful aspects of the resume, education, skills, certs, so hiring managers can pick the best candidates. The project was very well done, but a little monotone. They sounded mildly enthusiastic about it, it was super cool and they should sound more excited. I think the presentation could use more appealing graphics. The project could be improved by adding better transcript and grade data. I was on a few hiring committees and we read through hundreds of college transcripts looking for good grades in areas we were hiring for. 



Part 5: Summarize Your Week on Your Learning Journal


This week in CST300 we were a little heavy in project management and writing about other people’s projects. I guess for a writing class it should be expected. I reflected on the realization of my weaknesses and looked to turn them around to become a better student. The effective skills reading helped me to also see my strengths. Sometimes you need to be reminded of them. I'm starting to enjoy the sound of project management. The work breakdown structure and gantt chart concepts were very interesting because I love a good planned schedule. The WBS ensures nothing is left undone and the Gantt visually maps all the tasks over time. 


In CST349 we conquered the team resume. Our team seemed a little luke warm but once we started to really talk about our skills it looks like we are a super great well rounded team. Each of us has a skill to contribute to the team, so that's cool. It was fun to see other team’s resumes. Some of them are beginners and some have a lot of experience. I look forward to the group projects and what people do with all the AI programming skills they have. I need to get to studying so I can keep up! 


Extra Part:
Team Resume:

EduOtter


Education for Otters






Mission




To provide the best educational services possible to current and alumni Otters and their professors. From educational materials to tutoring, we got you covered! Our team is eager to help you achieve your goals in your desired field. With specialized support in Computer Science and IT, you can count on our team to support you.



Services




●​  Tutoring services for students in:


○​  Data Structures, Algorithms, Statistics,


○​  Networking,


○​  Cyber Security,


○​  Microsoft Server Administration,


○​  Physics


○​  Math


○​  Computer Science Foundations


○​  Structured Query Language (SQL)


○​  Data Display & Visualization


●​ Full service educational materials, website and app development, for educators, instructors, and learners


○​  Flash Cards


○​  Slide Decks


○​  Interactive Educational Games


○​  Task Manager

Meet the Team






Ashley Wozow

awozow@csumb.edu

Familiar with Java, Python, C++, JavaScript, HTML/CSS, SQL, and PHP, with strong experience in object-oriented development, debugging, and problem-solving. Recognized as a critical thinker and innovative contributor with the ability to analyze challenges and create effective solutions.


Alexander Moore

alexmoore@csumb.edu


Proficient in building and managing custom Structured Query solutions (MySQL certified). Skilled in Data Display and Visualization with Power BI, developing interactive dashboards that deliver clear, actionable insights for decision-making. Experienced in creating custom APIs to integrate, push, and post data across applications.




Bryan Rivera

bryrivera@csumb.edu


Proficient in full-stack development, including Web Development with frontend technologies like HTML/CSS/JS and backend with NodeJS, Express, and Django. Interested in computer-aided learning and combining cognitive development with learning systems and technology. Expert in AI and Machine Learning. Passionate about STEM subjects like Physics, Math, and CS.

Lee Cao

lcao@csumb.edu


Proficient in Java, with addition experience in Python and C#, skill in understanding program flow across multiple languages to support gameplay systems and mechanics, interested in game development and interactive design with immersive player experiences. Worked on smaller projects related and published.




Morgan Beebe

mbeebe@csumb.edu


Familiar with Java and Python; able to read and interpret program flow. Developing proficiency in Android app development. Experience using spreadsheets for organization and asset management. Strong critical thinker with research experience. Entrepreneurial mindset with background in starting and maintaining small projects and businesses. Over 4 years of experience as an educator in the Junior College system.

Comments

  1. Hey Morgan, I can really relate to your struggles. I also find it challenging to balance short study sessions with deeper practice, especially with programming. It's so easy to get lost in the work. Reviewing weekly concepts and reciting while reading are areas I need to work on too. It's encouraging to see you plan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Morgan, that sounds like you are taking on a lot! Make the most of the time you have during the week so you don't get caught by saving something tricky until the last minute. Might not be an issue this term but maybe later in the program it might be. All that said, it sounds like your organization skills keep everything on track. That will give you an edge to make sure everything gets done. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment