September 30, 2025 Week 4 Learning Journal
September 30, 2025
Week 4 Learning Journal (2 Hours, including reading time)
Part One: Set Your Educational Goals
After going through all the readings of this module, set and write down your educational goal(s) in the CS program (and beyond if you'd like). The goal should be vivid enough that you can envision yourself achieving it. The goal should be exciting enough that you feel driven to reach it. Your goal should also be specific so you can see how close you are to attaining it, and it should be short/simple enough so you can remember it.
The big picture I am pursuing is the bachelor degree in Computer Science from CSUMB. I have two years to complete the program. My short term goals are to stay on track with my studies and try to peel back one or two days from the deadlines, currently I am submitting on the due dates. I would like to submit one or two days prior to the deadline to create a buffer for things that may come up. I am working on studying concepts in data science and software engineering through a short ten week internship I just started at IBM. This should help build a stronger preparation for the ETS Test. My medium term goals are to advance on to Georgetown University for my master degree in Applied Intelligence. cryptography and cyber security were my foundation in junior college so it should round out my education. Long term I would like to polish my skills and teach at the junior college level in Career Education.
Part Two: Set Your Career Goals
After going through all the readings of this module, set and write down your career goal(s). It might not be easy, therefore don't spend too much time on it. However, do push yourself to envision the goal, and don't worry if the goal is too grandiose or too modest.
The goal should be vivid enough that you can envision yourself achieving it. The goal should be exciting enough that you feel driven to reach it. The goal should also be short/simple enough so you can remember it.
My short term career goals are chaotic and diverse. I have a twenty year background in real estate investments so pursuing a technology position that will expand my opportunities to start a software company in FinTech is ideal. For medium term, I would also be comfortable in a cyber security or intelligence role after my past victories in hacking competitions. The NSA or other three letter abbreviations would be a dream of mine. My long term goal is to start a software company that uses my entrepreneurial side to create software with real societal impact. Building and selling successful software companies is my ten year plan.
Part Three: Take a wild guess of your percentile of the ETS Computer Science test
After viewing the ETS page, the test description, and sample test, how do you feel about taking the test in 18 months? What percentile do you feel you will get, why?
I think I wouldn't do very well on the test right now. I have gaps in data structure and architecture. But in the next 18 months with some practice I should be ok. My idea is that I'm 38, there is no plan B, it is the eleventh hour, my minimum viable product is at least 60th percentile.
Part Four: Keep Up With Your Learning Journal
Update the learning journal to include what have you learned from this week's readings and activities.
In CST300 this week I learned how to polish my APA references and essay outline. My topic is a little obscure so I had to learn how to dig extra deep and find sources for controversial subjects.
In CST349 I had a lot of reading material. I learned the importance of mastering the CS fundamentals and tracing code, recursion, and algorithms. If I am going to pass the ETS then I need to study more. I also learned to create clear goals and write them down. Creating smart goals by dividing them into short, medium, and long term goals is a key to success and staying on track. Also, tracking my success through this learning journal and adjusting my learning and goals as things come up in life will help build momentum and reduce fatigue. Finally, the reading on mission statements was interesting. I have drafted a mission statement but will probably change it in future journal entries.
"I am committed to a perpetual growth mindset, to pursuing ideas regardless of difficulty, and to creating innovative systems and sustainable solutions."
Hello Morgan,
ReplyDeleteYou’ve done an excellent job of outlining both your educational and career aspirations. The only suggestion I can make is to explore real estate companies that would appreciate your experience and require cyber security expertise. This could serve as a valuable starting point for gaining experience in the field and potentially serve as a backup plan.
Hello Morgan,
ReplyDeleteYou have a well thought out plan for your education and career. The CSUMB online program and internships should provide you with extensive knowledge and skills in software engineering and you even plan gain further experience at Georgetown University. Things sometimes do not go as planned, so it is great to see that you have several routes you can take with your career along with a major goal to work towards to increases your chances of succeeding. One suggestion I would make is to write down steps to achieve your dream of starting your own FinTech company, as we have learned the importance of writing down your goals last week.
Hey Morgan, I really liked the way you outlined our goals! I think the CSUMB CS program we are in will help you achieve some of those goals paired with internships and external opportunities. I also plan to receive a Masters Degree, which I hope to use to teach Computer Science. I think your expertise in finances plus your education in technology specifically computer science will set you up well in achieving a position in FInTech as well as contributing to impactful software. Stay the course and opportunities should come your way!
ReplyDelete