November 25, 2025 Wk04: Learning Journal Project 1 review

 November 25, 2025

CST338

Wk04: Learning Journal Project 1 review

Project 1

Work with some of your fellow classmates and go through your solution to project 1: LDPM

You can work with up to three people (you MUST work with at least one other person)

With whom did you work?

Ashley Wozow 

What was your strategy for solving the assignments?

First I went over what tests needed to be done, then made minimal base classes. Added each part slowly and slowly fixed the compile errors as they came up. Eventually I had a working test. Kept everything minimal unless asked for creativity. 

Did you start writing code right away? Did you plan it out on paper? 

Read through for 30-60 minutes. Plan for 60 minutes on paper. Make skeletons first to get a feel for the project. Add methods and test. 

What was THEIR strategy for solving the assignments?

Their main strategy for completing was first reading uml and getting everything situated field by field. Then completing the methods and getting them set up. Then working class by class. After each class class test if it worked. 

How would you change your strategy having worked on the assignment?

I would build small classes instead of giant skeletons and test each to make sure it passes, then expand the class, testing as I go to make sure it works. Maybe, I kind of like making the skeletons first and deleting what I don't need. 

According to your classmate(s): how well does your code follow the Google Java Style Guide?

Yes, it follows it. Overall has good comments. 

Did you know you can automate applying some of the style guide rules?

Yes. I use it for auto indenting, braces, wrapping, methods, etc. 

What was the most challenging part?

Making the elemental modifiers was the hardest. Matching behavior was difficult too. 

What was the most interesting?

Creating a game was pretty fun. I started out by wanting to develop games in 2018 and then discovered it was too hard with no formal education, expensive bootcamps just did code along and I didn't learn anything. Now I'm interested in making some text based adventure game again. Like the old 90's pathfinder games on paperback. 

What are you the most proud of?

I'm most proud of getting this far and things starting to click. Java is not my strongest CS domain, but I'm trying very hard. 

How did you celebrate completing the assignment? 

I got a sushi dinner date with my wife. 

If you didn't how will you celebrate?

I plan to celebrate the next one with a 12 hour smoked tri tip. 

This isn't a joke. It helps our learning to celebrate and acknowledge victories.  <-- Dr.C just fought for your right to party.

Comments